Institute for Mathematics Applied to Geosciences
National Center for Atmospheric Research
Boulder, CO 80307
thoar .at. ucar.edu
I have two main duties as an Associate Scientist in IMAGe at
the National Center for Atmospheric Research.
Essentially, my job is to ensure
that anyone, anywhere, on any architecture -- can download,
install, and run the Data Assimilation Research Testbed
(DART) software developed by the
Data Assimilation Research Section (DAReS)
AND (and this is more of a hobby) that
Geophysical Statistics Project (GSP) visitors,
post-docs, and collaborators have everything they need -- be it data, code,
hardware, methodologies, programming, programming advice, home repair ...
The Data Assimilation Research Testbed (DART)
is an effort led by Jeff Anderson to
develop a suite of software to explore data assimilation
methodologies instead of data assimilation programming.
Our intent is to develop a very modular suite of models and
observations to facilitate research in data assimilation and
Royal Arch Hike
I have some pictures of a hike from NCAR to 'the quarry' and then up
a VERY STEEP (didn't know it was that steep) social trail to Royal Arch.
We didn't lose anyone, which was good.
I'm saving all the incriminating photos of people 'running out of puff'
(I just learned that one from an Aussie friend) for my retirement fund.
Because we're a bunch of statisticians, I thought it would be fun to collect
some data on the hike. I had two GPS units - a Garmin Forerunner 305, and
a Garmin 60CSX. The breadcrumbs (tracks) from the units are:
[forerunner tracks], and
[60CSX tracks]. They have different sample
rates, and the last line of each file has a different number of items, so you may
want to delete that one before trying to ingest it. The best graphics will get
posted here, the winner receiving another invite to the next hike. The
consolation prizes will also be invitations to the next hike, so get your
entry in now!
Select Publications (reverse chronologically, for the most part)
A much more complete list of publications and presentations is available at the
NCAR/UCAR Opensky portal
- Rosolem, R., T.J. Hoar, A. Arellano, J.L. Anderson, W.J. Shuttleworth, W. Zeng, and T.E. Franz, 2014
- Translating aboveground cosmic-ray neutron intensity to high-frequency
soil moisture profiles at sub-kilometer scale.
Hydrology and Earth System Sciences,18, 4363-4379,
- Zhang, Y.-F., T.J. Hoar, Z.-L. Yang, J.L. Anderson, A.M. Toure, and M. Rodell, 2014
- Assimilation of MODIS snow cover through the Data Assimilation Research
Testbed and the Community Land Model version 4.
Journal of Geophysical Research-Atmospheres, 119, 7091-7103,
- Morozov, A.V., A.J. Ridley, D.S. Bernstein, N.S. Collins, T.J. Hoar, and J.L. Anderson, 2013
- Data assimilation and driver estimation for the Global Ionosphere-Thermosphere
Model using the Ensemble Adjustment Kalman Filter.
Journal of Atmospheric and Solar-Terrestrial Physics, 104, 126-136,
- Karspeck, A., S. Yeager, G. Danabasoglu, T.J. Hoar, N.S. Collins, K.D. Raeder, J.L. Anderson, and J. Tribbia , 2013
- An ensemble adjustment Kalman filter for the CCSM4 ocean component.
Journal of Climate, 26, 7392-7413,
- Hoteit, I., T.J. Hoar, G. Gopalakrishnan, N.S. Collins, J.L. Anderson, B. Cornuelle, A. Köhl, and P. Heimbach, 2013
- A MITgcm/DART ensemble analysis and prediction system with application to the Gulf of Mexico.
Dynamics of Atmospheres and Oceans, 63, 1-23,
- Raeder, K and Anderson, Jeffrey L. and Collins, Nancy and
Hoar, Timothy J. and Kay, Jennifer E. and Lauritzen, Peter H.
and Pincus, Robert, 2012
- DART/CAM: An Ensemble Data Assimilation for CESM Atmospheric Models
Journal of Climate, 25, 6304-6317,
- Lee, C., W. G. Lawson, M. I. Richardson, J. L. Anderson, N. Collins,
T. Hoar, and M. Mischna, 2011
- Demonstration of ensemble data assimilation for Mars using DART, MarsWRF,
and radiance observations from MGS TES
Journal of Geophysical Research,116, E11011,
- Anderson, J., T. Hoar, K. Raeder, H. Liu, N. Collins, R. Torn, and A. Arellano, 2009
- The Data Assimilation Research Testbed: A Community Facility.
Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society:
90 (9), 1283-1296
- Khare, S.P., Anderson, J.L., Hoar, T.J., Nychka, D.W. 2008
- An investigation into the application of an ensemble Kalman smoother
to high-dimensional geophysical systems.
Tellus Series A - Dynamic Meteorology and Oceanography:
60, 97-112, 10.1111/j.1600-0870.2007.00281.x.
- Whitcher, B., T.C.M. Lee, J.B. Weiss, T.J. Hoar, and D.W. Nychka, 2008
- A Multiresolution Census Algorithm for Calculating Vortex
Statistics in Turbulent Flows.
Journal of the Royal Statistical Society:
Series C (Applied Statistics), 57 (3), 293-321
- Anderson, J. L., B. Wyman, S. Zhang, and T. Hoar, 2005
- Assimilation of surface pressure observations using an ensemble filter
in an idealized global atmospheric prediction system.
Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, 62, 2952-2938
- Hoar, T.J., R.F. Milliff, D. Nychka, C.K. Wikle, and L. Mark
- Winds from a Bayesian Heirarchical Model: Computation for
Atmosphere-Ocean Research. Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics,
Volume 4, Number 12, 781-807
- Whitcher, B., J. Weiss, D. Nychka, and T.J. Hoar, 2003
- Stochastic Multiresolution Models for Turbulence.
Recent Advances and Trends in Nonparametric Statistics,
M. Akritis and D. Politis (Eds.), pp. 497-509, Amsterdam: Elsevier.
- Berliner, L.M, Nychka, D. and Hoar, T. (Eds.), 2000:
- Studies in the Atmospheric Sciences, Springer-Verlag, New York.
- Madden, R.A., Hoar, T.J., and Milliff, R.F., 1999:
- Scatterometer winds composited according to the phase of the
Tropical Interseasonal Oscillation. Tellus, 51A, 263-272
- Hoar, T., 1999:
- Bayes meets Big Iron. Proceedings of the 1999 Joint Statistical meetings,
Journal of the American Statistical Association.
- Milliff, R.F., Hoar, T.J., van Loon, H., and Raphael, M., 1999:
- Quasi-stationary wave variability in NSCAT winds.
J. Geophys. Res., 104, 11,425-11,436
- Milliff, R.F., Hoar, T.J., and Madden, R.A., 1998:
- Fast, eastward moving
disturbances in the surface winds of the equatorial Pacific.
Tellus, 50A, 26-41
- Jones, R.H., Y. Zhang, and T.J.Hoar, 1997:
- Constructing surface wind space-time maps from scatterometer data.
- Trenberth, K.E., and Hoar, T.J., 1997:
- El Niño and climate change.
Geophys. Res. Lett., 24, No. 23, 3057-3060
- Trenberth, K.E., and Hoar, T.J., 1996:
- The 1990-1995 El Niño -Southern Oscillation Event:
Longest on record. Geophysical Research Letters, 23,
No. 1, 57-60
- Shea, D.J., Worley, S.J. Stern, I.R. and Hoar, T.J., 1994:
- An Introduction to Atmospheric and Oceanographic Data.
NCAR/TN-404+IA, 132 pp.
- Hoar, T.J., and Wilson, C.R., 1994:
- Geosat Observations of Sea Level Response to Barometric Pressure Forcing.
Geophysical Research Letters, 21, No. 23, 2515-2518
Various useful (to me) links.
Last modified: Wednesday, 20-May-2015 08:43:58 MDT by
Tim Hoar -- thoar "at" ucar.edu